Sunday, June 14, 2015

Completing an Enchainment of Durango Highpoints by Bicycle

When you look at the hanging valley of Durango Colorado, you"ll notice the mountain hamlet is hemmed in by magnificent geology. Five distinct high points form a natural boundary around Durango proper.

I've always been curious about riding an enchainment of the boundary peaks and DGO's high points. How long would it take? What routes should one ride? Would it be a pure loop or a series of out and back missions? What order and in what direction?

I let the worm turn until I got serious about this endeavor in April 2015. I had just raced the AZT 300 and if I was going to continue working hard on my summer goals, I needed to find a way to keep my endurance training interesting. Chipping away at the enchainment has proved the perfect distraction.

The neat thing about "projects" wether it's climbing, biking, paddling, etc. is uncovering all the answers and discovering solutions along the way. For me, the real gift is the journey. That's not to say that finishing objectives doesn't feel good.... it's just that I've grown to really love and very much enjoy the question marks and ambiguity that come along with a bold, new mission where success remains elusive. In the beginning, you're scared, apprehensive and cautious. Overtime, as you feel more comfortable with the objective, you learn more about its secrets, discover better and more efficient ways of executing on what you've already unlocked and inevitably, hit the edge of what's known.  It is at this point where you must grapple with moving beyond the surety of the known and into a world of unknowns. It is here, in the "will it go?" "can I do it?" "is it safe?" "am I the one?" "is this the day?" "will the weather hold?" moments that we grow and ultimately triumph. Committing to pushing onward in the face of these questions, if only to find our own answers in defeat, is a big reason adventurers become so addicted to the journey. There's always another peak, wall or rapid to be explored. There's always something out there bigger, scarier and for sure to take you down. That's why we continue to step up.

I spent May dabbling with different sections of the route and began enchaining the high points in sets of two. I also spent weeks trying to find the quickest and most efficient routes to the top of the different locales. Originally, I focused on a mega-loop devised to visit all of Durango's highpoints which was aesthetically beautiful on paper and avoided recrossing my tracks most of time. I rode this loop hard but the extra time and elevation this approach was adding to the objective started to grind on me. The weather this spring has been dicey and too many times I chastised myself for taking the "loop route" only to get shut down by impending storms and fickle trail conditions. Was I making this route too difficult? No, the loop definitely goes but I also wanted to get this thing done before my next race.

Last week, Bonecrusher and I had a solid go at the big loop. It was a long day and although we still had time to tag the final peak (Animas City Mountain), we were both pretty blasted from the day's efforts and ultimately scratched. I started from Santa Rita park @ 0400, pedaled out Lake Nighthorse Road and climbed Smelter's backside via CR 212- the only other feasible way off the peak is a "hiking only" trail so this one always has to be a lolipop. (I guess you could carry your bike down the hiking trail?
Good morning Durango! Smelter Mountain
Smelter Summit

Descending back to town, I picked up Tom and rolled thru Durango's Eastside to 10th ave. Up to this point,  I had been connecting the next part of the  loop by riding out Horse Gulch> climbing to the ridge via Rocky Road and HABing the three miles north to the Raider Ridge highpoint....Fantastic training but this nonsense was eating up a ton of daylight so today we tried a different strategy that would cut out the HAB. Up Nature Trail to Rim Trail> around the college to the drop down to Goeglein Gulch Rd., cross and up the other side via Talker trail> gain the Power Line Trail> crank north to Powerline's  terminus> descend to Skyline/Powerline split and then climb back up to the ridge>Drop bike and run two humps to the north to the actual highpoint. This variation was still a lollipop because you'd retrace your track back down to the Powerline/Skyline split- but from there it was all new dirt- down the Bread Express>Ball Lane and back out to Florida Road.
Raiders Ridge Highpoint

Bonecrusher reflects on his love of the Skyline Trail


Next, we pounded pavement north on Florida Road until reaching Edgemont Ranch and the Pioneer Trailhead. I love the Pioneer Trail and it's only a mile- but that sucker is tough- never seems cruiser. Grind up Pioneer and emerge into Durango Hills neighborhood high up on Missionary Ridge Mt. Pedal Silver Mesa Driveway until it turns into FR 701 and send this out to the towers up on top. From there, we found the Missionary Ridge single track and traversed over to the start of Halflin Canyon- We dropped Halflin Canyon Trail all the back down to the valley floor on CR 250. Turning north, we biked out to the Trimble Crossing/550 junction and would then grind back to town for an Animas City Mountain finish.
Missionary Ridge highpoint
Missionary
Missionary


  A little media from the day....

But we got hung up eating chips and drinking soda at PJ's at the Trimble Crossing. As the minutes ticked by, our motivation and energy for the final push was diminishing. It was dinner time and we made the decision to push back into town but save Animas City Mountain for another day. We also talked a lot about the route. What was the actual objective? Was it a beautiful loop or was it to tag highpoints? In the end we determined that yes, the loop goes- but it costs much in terms of time and energy. It's a stellar track but I was frustrated that I had yet to stand atop all these highpoints in a single day. Enter a paradigm shift...

Pic from an earlier go at the loop- the view from the flanks of Animas City Mountain
 across the valley to Raiders and Missionary Ridge
I started thinking about the enchainment like a peak bagger- a hiker whose mission is to touch highpoints in the most efficient/quickest way possible. Peak baggers seldom worry about the aesthetics of a loop, focused rather on the most direct way to achieve. (generalized statement I know!) I developed a simple rule that proved to be a break thru in my thinking- "You must return to the valley floor after each highpoint" Loop or not, I now had the guidance I needed to devise a more specific and efficient highpoints route. Instead of one big circle around the valley, I looked at the challenge as a linear, south to north track with lollipops breaking off of the main artery. Each loli stem connected to the valley floor and without burning time on remote trails and HABing, the enchainment would "go" much quicker. Time to test that assertion....

On Saturday June13th, I left the house a few minutes past 0500. I rolled out to Santa Rita, down to Bodo Park and out Ridges Baisin Canyon. I reached 212 on the backside of Smelter and was at the towers on top ten minutes before 6am. I reversed my track and booked it into town for some breakfast and coffee. I lost time because both Durango Joes locations I went to were closed. (Weekdays they open early so you'll have food right on route) Hungry,  I cut thru town and made my way to Doughworks for a burrito and some hot joe. I spent 13 minutes wolfing down vittles and hot brew and was back out the door while most of Durango slept.

Smelter Summit on the successful run

I pedaled over to Animas City Mountain Trailhead and made short work of that climb. Although it was still early, I did see some other hikers and two other cyclists. (Everyone seems to love Animas City Mt.) Although the riding is mostly uphill, loose crap, the view from the top is outstanding. I lost a water bottle on the descent and was back on the valley floor quickly. Sweet! On to Raiders Ridge.
Animas City Mountain on the successful run-
 the red cliffs of Missionary Ridge can be seen to the right
Out Florida Rd. to Ball Lane. On this attempt, there would be no convoluted route  to the ridge. The trail up and the way back would be the same. Bread Rising>Skyline> top out and run to high point> descend the same way back to Florida Rd. A big, badass, no nonsense grind straight up and a scorching descent back down.... YES!!!! Skyline was grand- I love that trail. I made great time to the highpoint and passed lots of weekend hikers on the way up and down.

Although it was still early in the day (9ish), storm clouds had already moved in. I was ready to bail. The thought of grinding more pavement out Florida Road only to take on the biggest climb of the day in impending weather was not enthralling me. Mental low point for sure...I thought of Rachel, probably still sleeping in at home and wanted nothing more than to scoot home and snuggle into bed. BUT, I also thought about how great the morning had gone and how quickly I had dispatched with the in-town high points. I needed to finish this. Quitting would only set the tone for the next race. I gave myself a stern talking to- HTFU and get this shit done. "If you get stormed off Missionary, so be it but don't leave this on the table again, Michael!" With that, I put my head down and pedaled north.

Raiders Ridge- Convincing myself to HTFU
 and push on for the final highpoint!
The climb from Florida Rd., up Pioneer and then up the ridge to the summit towers majorly sucked. I was pretty worked from the morning and drank my last water with a little over 3 miles to go. (forgot my Sawyer filter!!!!)  Then the beefy blackness set in and the thunder started booming. Wow, this would be close. I walked, pushed and pedaled my way up to the top. My phone ran out of juice with only 500 feet more to go. I didn't stop long, my summit celebration was short lived. A quick "Woo hoo" and I pointed it back down the road- It was 13 more miles from the highpoint back to home. But it was all downhill and the enchainment, at least the bike stages, were now complete! I was a happy dude.

Broken chain on Pioneer on the successful run.




The Route & Specs

A copy of the route can be found here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/324644563  (I also have a GPX track that includes the final mileage and climbing- contact me if you want it!)

Route Directions: 
Santa Rita Park>550/160 south to Bodo Frontage Rd.>Take first right out Ridges Basin(Lake NighthorseCanyon) Rd and climb to the the height of the land where CR 212 takes off to the north(right side). Climb 212 to the top (7725 ft.)> Descend the same way and reverse the route back to 550/160 crossing to the River Trail at Nature's Oasis> using River Trial and surface streets, make your way into town and over to Animas City Mountain (8161 ft.)> Climb up and back via the main hiking/biking route> From TH, Ride out 32nd st. to Florida Rd.>right on Ball Lane>climb Bread Rising>climb Skyline Trail to Raiders Ridge. Hike north to high point (7954 ft.)> Descend same way to Florida Rd.> Pedal north on Florida Rd.  out to the Pioneer TH> emerge in Durango Hills> crank up Silver Mesa Driveway and continue out FR 701 to the top of Missionary Ridge. (9874 ft.) That's all there is to it!

Route Specs:
This route can be ridden much faster than I'v completed it. I'm training for bikepacking ultras so I am riding with full bags (extra layers/bivy kit/lots of food/etc.). Someone with a light kit and solid logistics could really scorch this enchainment. Also bring a water filter to fill up along the way!

Total time from start to final highpoint was 5hrs. 50 minutes of moving time and 49 minutes of stoppage. All self support with stops at Durango Doughworks and the Huck Finn Exxon on Florida Rd. by Bread. It took me six hours and 40 minutes of moving time to close the route back to my house (Santa Rita) Final stats checked in at 47 miles, 7500K of climbing and a total mission time of just under 8hours.

Perkins Peak (left) with Animas City Mountain in the background 
I'm so excited to have connected these highpoints and I'm very much looking forward to adding the final peak in July. Perkins Peak has a limited access window (seasonal peregrine closures) and is hike only! I envision biking back into town from Missionary Ridge and then heading out to the Rockridge neighborhood trailhead. From there, I'll hike to the top of Perins and stop the clock on the summit. Should add another 2 hours and 1500K. I'd love for any and all to join me on the next run in July. This objective has been a great distraction and has allowed me to trick myself into training hard. A huge thanks to Tom and Rachel for all their time on trail and at home in support of this push. It feels great to have unlocked the biking segments of the Durango Highpoints Enchainment and now it's time to refine the route, add the final peak and better my finish time. Happy Trails!



































No comments:

Post a Comment