Monday, January 26, 2015

Moving Forward, Fully Inflated.

Happy New Year and welcome to another year of MountainJah Adventures. Boy, what a difference a year makes! The leisurely pace, long bike rides and no worries vibe of 2014 dropped like the Time’s Square ball and January has come out swinging. It’s good to be busy, loved and employed.

Big Smiles on a Sunday Friendly out in La Plata Canyon
 It’s been another inconsistent and dry winter up here in our little high altitude desert part of the world. But the mountains we butt up against are snowy and a short, twenty-minute drive north offers plenty of legit snowbiking options. Although the fatbiking has been great, the skiing has reportedly been good to meh this year.

Financially conservative and environmentally radical, I will only put aside eco-ethics and pay top dollar this season if the universe aligns wolf creek local days with significant powder events….which makes me a bullshit hypocrite I know. My fingers remain crossed for a late Jan./early February confluence of these factors! Alas, there’s no backcountry for me this year as I’m currently without a splitboard. And with recent events, I think Rachel is please I’m not dropping big lines anymore.


The Rabbit Ears in Dec 2014.
 For those who don’t know, Durango lost another beautiful young adult to an avalanche in the San Juan mountains (See 1/6 Kendall accident) So scary knowing about all the craziness and heuristic traps happening out there. Year after year, too many close calls and losing people all around me has definitely caused me to pull back on the alpinism and off-piste reigns. Now that I’m thoroughly enamored with the utility of fatbiking, I’ve convinced myself I’m just an early adopter to the ultimate results of global warming.


But Olivia, the young woman who tragically passed, was the daughter of Rae’s boss. So even though this household has dialed it down considerably, we once again find ourselves in the cycle of a horrible outdoor accident- the shock, the anger, the grieving, reflection and ultimate acceptance. Our tribe is our tribe. We cannot ignore the reality that our friends, social circles, this community and adventurous souls everywhere live, love and play at a whole different level than most; a level where our rewards are mind-blowingly fulfilling and addictive but where the consequences of a mistake are dire. We chose our own path and weather our own consequences. Every time we punch the gut of a gully, the meat of a hole or pedal an exposed alpine ridge in monsoon season, we continue to roll those dice….Sending much love and light to the whole Buchanan family and all those affected by this horrible tragedy.


Horse Gulch 
Although the white stuff has been infrequent, when it has fallen, Durango snowbikers have lucked out. In the last few storms we’ve enjoyed some terrific in- town fatbiking. We’ve adopted strategies for “getting it while you can” and there’s definitely a refined approach to making the goods last. Check out Durango Fatbikers on the FB for tons of  fatty pics and snowbiking reports.

Urban Fat 

Speaking of squishy, oversized tires, I had the honor and privilege of participating in the inaugural Velorution Valkyrie this past weekend. What an amazing event organized by Joey Ernst of Velorution Cycles. The Valkyrie was a 35+ mile fatbike race on the western side of the La Plata mountains….very cool! The course utilizes the West Mancos snowmobile trails which are maintained by the San Juan Sledders. It is the first fatbike race to be included in the Colorado Endurance Series. Amazing, a top twenty finish!

All kidding aside, I definitely felt good in Saturday’s race. The course was fast and if it wasn’t for cramps from miles 25-35, I think I could have gone faster- maybe shave 15-20 mins? I had a solid race plan, an effective nutrition plan and actually had my shit packed and ready to go the night before the event!

This definitely was my most efficient endurance race to date. During the 5 hours and 48 minutes it took me to complete the route, I enjoyed only 23 minutes of stopped time. My goal was to trim the FAT (fucking around time) to 5 minutes per hour- WTG MountainJah! This is what happens when you forgo nature moments, picture taking and pants off breaks…

2015 Velorution Valkyrie

I’m now fully focused on the Arizona Trail Race and the Valkyrie was a good check-in with my strength and conditioning. I’ve been hitting the gym hard since December but I have completely given up on lame ass spin class. I accurately anticipated the “resolution bump” in attendance at the gym and took time off from spinning so as not to sour my attitude. But once everyone was over it and the throngs had dissipated (two weeks into January) I was incredibly reluctant to re-engage with spin class.

Instead of hanging out in what feels like indoor, roadie elderhostel, I’ve just started doing my own 60 minute training regimes on the spin bike. I pair that with lifting three times a week, stretching and daily breathing and mindfulness exercises. The whole gym deal takes 90 minutes if I’m focused. The only missing piece is a nice gravel bike to complement the indoor times. I also still haven’t tackled the Kettlebell 300 with Bonecrusher….scary stuff there.

History proves that time in the gym pays off big time on the AZT in April. Not only with physical power, but with strength in getting up early, motivating when all you want to do is sleep in and getting on the bike in the dark to honor a commitment to an ambitious plan. I’m looking to crush my 2014 time on the 300 and then take on an amazingly ambitious summer expedition. Still dialing in sponsors, the project’s website and some final permit logistics. Details coming soon I promise.

In the meantime, I hope temps along 550 plunge and we get some more snowy weather up north. The inaugural Silverton Whiteout is only two weeks away and I’m so excited to be attending this event. I’m rolling as course safety/sweep so I’ll have ample opportunity to capture great pics and report from the race.

Aspect (and timing) is everything!
It was 50+ degrees in Durango today. I heard it described as “Juneary” and felt that was a very appropriate moniker. Looks like Moab, Alien Run and Phil’s World will be off the hook this week/weekend if the chance of rain holds off. Following the Whiteout on 2/7, it’s time to hit that dirt hard!  For me, winter will be over.

With all the warm temps and daily sunshine here in the four corners, my attention is fully focused on planning upcoming, nice-weather adventures. We spent yesterday completing river lottery applications and we’re dialing in Feb/March Moab dates with our crew. I’ve got a bunch of product to abuse out in the desert ASAP. Rae and I will be testing tires for Maxxis this year and BPM will be publishing a bunch of “must-haves” in an upcoming equipment and accessories article.



Quick preview from my 2015 ultra season preparations- I can't stop talking about my new TRP Brakes, and the game changing nutrition plan I’ve discovered with JuicePlus capsules. I’m also committed to ride for Pale Goat Racing again but I think we’re about to undergo a name change? We’ll see what Rick does here……. Momentum at Bikepackers Magazine and Bikepackers Radio keeps rolling forward and there is some really cool stuff in store this year. Feeling super excited and very blessed to be involved with it all.



Alright, it’s Snowdown people. Our town’s winter carnival is a great test for my training mindset and sobriety commitments.  It’s time for Durango to party all week and watch the Pats win another ring this weekend! Lie, cheat and steal but always win, right Tommy boy?


Wishing you all fully inflated tires and balls in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment