| My blog....neglected like shitty ass BB5s |
![]() |
| Tween' Season |
The adventures never stop for this household and Rachel and I were fully focused on a Thanksgiving White Rim trip. I had never completed the route using vehicle support and it sounded like the perfect way to celebrate the holiday. So we rounded up close friends, procured permits for the finest camps and readied ourselves for a three day jeep supported spin around the rim. The weather in the four corners was stuck between the end of fall and the start of winter. Would this work?
| WRIAD this past spring |
The weather forecast remained a crapshoot and near daily check-ins with the group highlighted everyone's anxiety and apprehension with anticipated precipitation and temperatures. NOAA was calling for 30-40% snow and temps in the 20s....not the sunny, high 50s we were hoping for. With only a week to go before tip off, this TL made the call to scrap it. Still not sure it was the right decision but as I reflected on my teammates bailing daily, the crappy forecast and thoughts of shivering away vacation in a tent, my fidelity to/and motivation for the original plan eroded. Four days before departure I called the team, canceled the trip and felt like a real turkey.
| Packing up and packing out. A little glimpse into our tiny base camp. |
We wanted to be warm. We wanted sun. We did the math and it added up to Arizona, the land of angry people, angry plants and happy bike packers! (No offense AZ family-you know we love you mucho) But where to go and what to ride?
We realized that if we were to get the most out of our mini-vacation window, we should limit the car time. We would not enter babylon and felt strongly that the metro area held nothing of interest to us.We zeroed in on potential locations north of Phoenix along the 1-17 corridor. Establishing a line of demarkation at Happy Valley provided us with many cycling options: Black Canyon City, Prescott, Cottonwood, Sedona, Oak Creek, Flag, Grand Canyon....all within 7hrs. or less striking distance and fitting our criteria. Checking the weather in the 4corners only reinforced the migration strategy so early Friday morning we pointed it south for some AZ schralping!
Now that I had a track, we set about dialing in logistics. The loop incorporates dirt roads that run between Interstate 17 and the BCT and provide passage from Black Canyon City up to Mayer. Quite simply- follow the dirt road up, locate the top of the ST and drop back to the car, making the entire trip a loop. This felt good to us. This plan eliminated the need for mega-drive time and best of all, no shuttle.
Here is a write up of the route prepared for BPM. There was a moment of concern when we thought our only option for trailhead parking was right off I-17 at the Black Canyon City TH. We were worried that leaving our car, filled with necessary but un-needed trail gear and technology would be a tempting invitation to thieves. A break-in concerned us and I tried to figure out how we could start/leave the car in a more secure location. A quick call to El Freako produced a watershed of info that allowed me to break through the logistical dam. Jeff let us know about the Bumble Bee Ranch, where for ten dollars/night you can camp out on a gorgeous property, get access to clean showers, heated bathrooms, hot water and kitchen facilities, etc. With the BCT crossing the main road only one hundred feet south of the ranch's entrance, the ranch proved a no-brainer. It was a secure launch spot , on route, comfortable and cheap. I HIGHLY recommend anyone doing this dirty century as a bp to incorporate the wonderful opportunities found there. So sweet!
![]() |
| "shuttles are for the space program" About to get dusted....again. |
"Did you see that bike packer over there?" In my haste to figure out our next steps, I had relegated the rider to background scenery in my mind. Like I had seen something but I didn't let it register as I moved forward focused on our navigation. "There's a dude bike packing over there" Rachel said. "And it looks like a trail junction over there too" she points to where the mysterious bike packer is standing. "Do you want to go over and say hello"? I asked. She nodded an affirmative and we u-turned our rigs over to the traveler. Thank you Rachel for reminding me that it's the journey, not the destination.
![]() |
| Burly Surly Ogre and kit- I have never lifted a heavier set-up! Scott Pauker pic. |
You should definitely peruse homeboy's blog at spokeandwords.com Scott had definitely covered some miles to reach the crossroads where we now stood. He was elated to run into us and shared the craziness of his last 48 hrs. with us. Cranking out of Prescott, over the Bradshaw mountains and through Crown King, Scott had and ended up discovering the uniquely remote yacht club at Cleaver, AZ. We were the first bikepackers he had seen in some time and our rendezvous in the middle of the desert felt nothing short of serendipitous. Scott asked us about our route and wondered aloud about joining us. "Absolutly" we said, "although we're not moving fast and we're taking time to smell every flower." Scott did have a schedule he was trying to keep and it involved a rendezvous the next day in PHX. He decided to head south and we exchanged contact info. Since this chance meeting in the desert, Scott has become a new friend and I recently interviewed him for an upcoming article.
Relishing the experience of this chance encounter and fired up on the quality of our trip so far, we continued north, firing a fairly steep section of road up to Mayer. There, we ate lunch and located the top of the BCT. The trail does run for many more miles north from where we dropped in but from what we had researched, this was definitely the place to launch. Immediately, like within the first 100 feet, we new the BCT was quality and we both yelped wahoos with excitement. The trail was a rough, semi technical ribbon and the "flow" that folks had raved about online was spot on. In and out of washes, along picked out cliffside benches, on rock, sand and gravel we pedaled. The riding produced a huge grin on our faces as the trail twisted down canyon.
| YES! |
![]() |
| Wanna stop- why not? |
| Someone's tired... |
We spent the day out in the desert having an absolute blast. We ate whenwe wanted, explored washes and side arroyos and took lots of pics. By sunset, we had traveled the BCT to a point above the ranch where we had started that AM. We settled in for what was sure to be another chilly nite. too chilly in fact and by 3am, I had given Rae all of my clothing and was resigned to the "shivering dead baby" routine in my bag. I wanted her to be as comfy as possible and after racing all year, I was used to being as uncomfortable as possible on the trail. Morning came and we chose to have a leisurely start. Eventually we struck camp and headed south. We had a solid conversation on route and were honest with each other about how we felt. I could do this for days but Rae wanted a solid night of sleep. The cold was sapping her motivation and recovery. We decided we'd pull up short and hit the road one trail segment short of Black Canyon City. From there we'd grind to the car and immediately roll to the Rock springs cafe. Destroy breakfast and then head to Sedona for more riding that day! 70 degree temps and technical red rock called us and recalibration was easy.
| Miss Shady |
| Just going and going.... |
When the sun set, we were reminded why we had bailed early off the BCT- a desire to be warm! With temps growing cooler by the minute, we reviewed our options. Sleeping out another evening was sure too be cold in Sedona. iPhone search for cabins or a cheap yurt we could hole up in.....you're funny Michael. I quickly realized the absurdity of that notion. This is Sedona. we had money for nothing. We didn't want to drive more but after calling friends in Flagstaff, an offer of floor space was just to good to decline. We drove north, got dinner at the Beaver St. Brewery and after-dinner coffee at Macy's. We hooked up with our good friends and had an awesome time with them. In the morning, after the obligatory Biff's bagel, we pointed the Element towards the reservation and rolled onward to Durango. AZ abides.
| Durango trails are still riding really well! |
Professional obligations are gearing up and I'm about to take on a new school development gig as well as continuing to volunteer on the board of Durango's new, charter elementary school. And as always, every Wednesday night I'm still quizmaster at the pub. Check out this cool article on Durango's Trivia scene that talks about Wednesday nights at the Embassy. It's nice to be busy. But all I can think about is riding long distances, experiencing new things and meeting amazing people.
| Stupid spinning |
I've got fatbiking on the brain. We recently recorded our monthly podcast for Mountain Bike Radio. Neil and I decided to make November's episode all about fatties. We recorded a decent show...then we realized that the digital recording was screwed up, so we had to tape the 90 minute show all over again....it seems fitting that a bikepacking podcast would manifest curve balls and opportunities for perseverance. Just like a bikepacking trip!
| Everyone's stoked for winter at Fatbiking 101! |
I've taken some time to update Durango Fatbikers with all the upcoming local fatbiking events. Super pumped for the inaugural Silverton Whiteout coming up in February. All systems look to be a go for another run on the AZTR 300 too! Looking to bring my 103 hr. lackadaisical 2014 run down to a respectful 85 hr. effort. Might have to leave my pants on this year?So yeah little blog, I apologize for my absence and the mercurial nature of my posts. I've been having so much fun riding my bike and working on other writing projects that I neglected my own page. Now were up to speed and I'm looking forward to finishing out 2014. It's a year I'll never forget and I'm sure I'll have a reflection on the past 365 days posted up here before December ends. Get out on your bike, stay safe, smile and remember, life's too short to try it without bags!





No comments:
Post a Comment