Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fat & Squishy....Salsa Cycles 2015 Fatbike Demo

* I've got some additional demo write-ups forthcoming. Thanks for the patience everyone. Life has been really busy which delayed this report.  I'm also working on some neat feature pieces that should drop later this fall. Have fun out there, be safe and keep the rubber side down, hairy side up!-Michael

Returning from this year's Interbike tradeshow in Vegas, the Salsa Cycles team detoured to Durango for a demo sponsored by Velorution Cycles. There has been much anticipation and excitement surrounding their 2015 line-up and Durango Fatbikers was on hand to try out the different species of squish and squash in Salsa'a fatty quiver. A steady stream of locals, Salsa devotees and riders new to the brand were on hand to rally rides at the factory trails behind FLC. Lot's of smiles, good times and fat bikes! 

Tyler Anderson of Salsa Cycles discusses the new Bucksaw with Andrew Wracher of Bedrock Bags.

The Bucksaw
I'd be lying if I told you that trying the Bucksaw wasn't a big motivation in scheduling time to attend this Demo. There's quite a "buzz" surrounding Salsa's introduction of the first, full suspension fat bike  to the cycling world. Would it be a plushy, backcountry monster that I just had to have? Or would it prove a buzz-kill? First, the specs from Salsa's website:

BUCKSAW 1
  • Mechanically formed AL-6066 frame, high-modulus carbon fiber seatstay, Split Pivot suspension technology
  • SRAM X01 drivetrain
  • RockShox Bluto and Monarch RT3 rear shock with Fast Black coating
  • RockShox Reverb stealth dropper seatpost
  • Surly Marge Lite rims on Salsa Fat Conversion hubs with Surly Nate tires
  • U.S. MSRP $4999
Ride & Reaction

This bike is a UFO. Make no mistake about it, you'll be spun by what you see when in the presence of the Bucksaw.....is it a cross country rig on roids? or is it a fat bike trying to lose weight?   Whatever it is, I took a few minutes just to stare at and look over this beast of a bike. 

Design, assembly and finish are all well done. Components are solid and the stock rims and tires are quality. The look of the bike is sharp with technology that appears to have come from the Death Star, not Taiwan. But is this thing really a fat bike? Salsa heralds the oft heard feedback- "this thing doesn't ride like a fatty!"  Rather, riders remark that it charges like a cross country bike that you could ride all day. Time for a pedal...

After dialing in fit and sag, I pushed over to the pump track. No better place to feel the squish right out of the gate. A few bluto bounces later and I was concerned. First, I agree that this thing is light years away from feeling like a traditional fat bike ride. However, that's kind of what I enjoy about fat bikes....how they ride. The geometry under my seat was smooth, responsive and felt ready to be pushed hard. The squishy rear suspension made for uber nice landings and absorbed the terrain with ease. But it was the front of the bike that I struggled with. The Bluto shock did not seem "beefy" enough for me. The fit of the Bucksaw was similar to my two other Salsa bikes but I felt more prone to "going out the front windshield" on this fatty. It's difficult to describe, but I was looking for more bike under me up-front.  It seemed like there was not enough bike there for me to trust. For me to push and press down on. The bike seemed to ride best when I was centered back on the bike. Dropping down off rocks and ledges was fun. But if I'd assume a more aggressive, forward stance going into a turn, roller, etc., I felt really exposed- like I was now out in front of the bike like a maiden head. 

Full disclosure, I've had allegiance to the Salsa brand for years now. Although I favor steel frames and rigid forks, I can respect me some squish and definitely see applications for this bike. But those uses look more like a weekend in Moab. Or maybe utilized in a downhill, all-mountain snow environment- can you imagine the Red Bull rampage at Silverton Mountain on this thing ?!? All the day glow ski kids dropping of wooden bridges and cliff bands on the Bucksaw....maybe throw in a derailuer grab? Although not the bike for me, I can respect Salsa's innovation and eye to progress. This bike is definitely expanding the frontiers of fat bike technology and terrain. It's cool to have checked it out and given it a try. On to more bikes.....

The Beargrease


Yes Please!
It's astounding that it's taken me this long to saddle up on this rig. The Beargrease is Salsa's racing fatty and is definitly the lightest of the brand's fatbikes. For me, the Beargrease has always been that girl in school that you sneak glances at all day. But you'd never approach her, or talk to her....you just think she's out of your league and you resign yourself to admiring her beauty from afar. We'll today that girl got assigned to be my partner in class and now actually has to talk to me. It was time to find out if my feelings were purely superficial or if there was substance to this relationship. Some specs:


BEARGREASE CARBON 1
  • High-modulus carbon fiber frame
  • Makwa carbon fiber fork
  • SRAM X1 fatbike drivetrain
  • Surly Marge Lite rims with 45NRTH Dillinger folding 120 tpi tires
  • U.S. MSRP $3699
Ride & Reaction
To say that I'm in love with this bike is an understatement.  Quite simply, put this bike between your legs and instantly feel like you're the man (or the woman)! Off we go and the first and most powerful impression I have is this thing is FAST! Was I actually keeping up with speedy Adamski? I dropped off the FLC campus rim and fired up the other side to the  Powerline trail. The bike was incredibly responsive and rode tight. Wooo-hooooo!!!!!! Descending pitches of baby heads and chunder felt smoother due to the damping effect of the carbon frame. Snaking through the chunkier stuff was incredibly fun with a bike that is so responsive. Gaining scary speed, poping off the berms of lower Horse Gulch road, I imagined racing this rig on the snow. This bike would just destroy the groomed, nordic center trails! The ride felt as good as any non-fat cross country bike and the weight (or lack there of) just blew my mind. If I could afford it, this bike would be in my quiver immediately. But for now, I'll just continue to stare at this beauty from afar. Get some if you can!


Dreaming of Adventure
If you're into BBWs then this is the ride for you! The Blackborow is a curvy, beefy, beautiful bike:

BLACKBOROW DS
  • Mechanically formed AL-6066 frame with Alternator 197 thru-axle dropouts
  • Bearpaw 150mm thru-axle tapered fork with Three-Pack cage mounting
  • Stainless steel dinglespeed drivetrain with Rustbuster chain (30 x 18 / 26 x 22)
  • Surly Clown Shoe rims with holes and Surly Lou folding tires
  • U.S. MSRP $2299
"It's Salsa's Moonlander!"  was my initial reaction when meeting the Blackborow. But after a first date with this beauty, I'm ready to go steady this winter. This bike is the machine you want to go tackle some serious off-piste objectives. As I pedaled the Blackborow around the Rim trail, I let my imagination take me to different seasons. My thoughts ran wild as I dreamt of pedaling up La Plata Canyon with my split board for fresh turns. I also fantasized about making the full descent of Lime Creek road in two feet of powder. This was the bike for that job-this was the bike for some serious backcountry fun! 

On dirt, she handled like you'd expect. Big, slow and when you let her run, your arms best be ready for a prize fight. But in the end, crushing dirt trails is not what this bike is about. This beefcake is about breaking trail up the Ophir road in winter to ski Lookout or grinding over Hermosa Park to Rico for hot drinks. It's about hunting in the fall, schralping through deep mud in the spring  and beach touring with pack rafts in any season.  It's the perfect bike to take deep into the woods, far out into winter or down a remote coastline somewhere. Adventure By Bike! Great job with this one Salsa. It complements your line up nicely. I can't wait to see what pickles the dreamers will get themselves into on this rig. That's where the true adventures will begin!

Up Next!
We'll take some time to learn more about the Durango Bike Company and try their 2015 front-suspension fat bike, The Hooey. 

Be Sure to Like 
Durango Fatbikers 
on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment