Countdown Clocks
I've wanted to give myself adequate time and space to reflect before leaving this Sunday. I did not want to draft this post prematurely. I wanted to make sure I could clearly encapsulate my "ah-has" going into the 2014 Colorado Trail Race. I had typed this entry's title weeks ago, the day after the CTC. I was still jazzed from the rush of Molas to Town and felt like the bridle remained clamped down hard on my summer trail adventures. Life and work telling me "not yet" I was anxious and excited to depart. I was ready to get the job done. But I'd have to wait.....holding back that energy and the motivation to leave then and there was an amazingly raw feeling. I sat with it. It's good for me to sit with my impulses...
This draft sat in my blog's dashboard as I slowly wrote out each section. Then, my buddy Marc shared a video that struck me as a powerful symbol of the task that lies ahead. Finally, a fitting piece of media for this post's title and a terrific visual metaphor for the CTR...
The bull in this video can represent many things on the trail. The racers are the clowns. Riding along, vigilant for the explosive, unpredictable nature of the bull and his movements across the dirt. You're just pedaling along an then, smash, pow to the ground! A rapid succession of head butts and horn pricks amplifies the flurry....and then, like that, it's over. It matters not wether the bull is the the technical single track, the physical challenge, the sleep dep, the weather. It only matters that the riders stay on top of their game. The bull is a fickle beast and its moods and direction of attack changes suddenly and violently. Always thinking ahead. Always planning. Always adapting. And when that bull does come charging your way, will you do everything you can to mitigate the blow?
Be smart. Be safe. Don't Be a Clown. There's Nowhere to Hide. *
(*Disclaimer-I am fully aware that rodeos and this rodeo company in particular, suck. I'm not a fan but love a good visual analogy)
This draft sat in my blog's dashboard as I slowly wrote out each section. Then, my buddy Marc shared a video that struck me as a powerful symbol of the task that lies ahead. Finally, a fitting piece of media for this post's title and a terrific visual metaphor for the CTR...
Post by Reno Rosser.
The bull in this video can represent many things on the trail. The racers are the clowns. Riding along, vigilant for the explosive, unpredictable nature of the bull and his movements across the dirt. You're just pedaling along an then, smash, pow to the ground! A rapid succession of head butts and horn pricks amplifies the flurry....and then, like that, it's over. It matters not wether the bull is the the technical single track, the physical challenge, the sleep dep, the weather. It only matters that the riders stay on top of their game. The bull is a fickle beast and its moods and direction of attack changes suddenly and violently. Always thinking ahead. Always planning. Always adapting. And when that bull does come charging your way, will you do everything you can to mitigate the blow?
Be smart. Be safe. Don't Be a Clown. There's Nowhere to Hide. *
(*Disclaimer-I am fully aware that rodeos and this rodeo company in particular, suck. I'm not a fan but love a good visual analogy)
It's been an incredible trip around the sun this year. I've managed to fully commit to my physical conditioning and training and that investment in "me" has paid off. What might be my greatest return has been an increased resilience to the effects of chronic injury. Approaching 40 in sixteen months, I often wonder about my body's failings and the warnetees that have run out on ankles, knees, shoulders, etc.. College soccer and 25 years of high end climbing, snowboarding and adventuring have definitely taken a toll- no regrets! However, building up a base level of race warranted fitness in 2014 has proved a strong strategy against reoccuring physical problems. And when this old guy does get all tweaked out, it now takes less time and rehab to get back in the saddle. Just this year, I tore a hammy before the AZT and recently re-aggrivated my shitty left ankle. But it seems like my base conditioning has stayed strong and despite a few spells "off" for recovery and pt, I've experienced no problems synching back into my training plan. It's been cool to stay strong while taking up to "2 weeks off" this year. Although there always seems to be something nagging, overall, I'm feeling good and ready to go.
I'm also prepared to pay for this adventure. Big time suffering is mandatory in these events. Every malady will be amplified and everything about me will be sore for months to come. I'll be cut up, bruised and bloated. Hands, knees, back- they'll all protest every morning when I get moving. As always, the goal is to keep moving forward! If the body holds up, I'm confident I have a great shot at finishing my rookie CTR. Again, it's been a great year for physical training. The 300, the DDC, the CTC- I've stuck to my conditioning goals, training regimen, race schedule and now, with a little luck, I think I just might hold it all together to make it in one piece to Waterton Canyon. Let's Do This!
![]() |
The morning after the CTC, I penned the following reflection in my journal:
Bring it. Bring it the fuck on! The time is now and I may never have the opportunity to tackle this beast again. Do it now. Live it now. The highs will be profoundly high-the lows will be unfathomably low. I understand the suffering. I'm ready to do my time. Give it to me. Give me the experience of riding this trail and raw emotion for 500 miles to Denver!
This is the headspace I've lived in for the past two weeks. (really for the last year...) I'm completly committed to this goal. I'm pushing forward powered by curiosity, fear, ego and love. I'm scared. I'm angry. I'm excited. I find myself overwhelmed by joy one second and sadness the next. I laugh a lot in the woods. I cry a lot in the mountains. I like that. For a deep feeler, shit feels more intense for me than ever! I'm excited to approach this race solo, against the flow with ultimate success dependent on my own self reliance and courage. I am confident in my skills and abilities. A lifetime of learning and experience has allowed me to arrive at this blessed place. I will visualize the most positive outcome while always moving forward. I'll apporach adversity, conflict and mistakes with an indefatigable spirit. I'll confront insurmountable challenges head on. I'll have kindness and compassion for self and others. I'll be mindful of the sacrifices it took to get here. I'll make every attempt to embrace the "now" and savor the gift of this race.
I'm in a good headspace going into this thing. Embracing and working with the mental complexities of expeditions and adventures is where I excel. Seeing, accepting, adapting, proceeding- and repeat-many times.... Nothing will ever go as planned out there. Embracing my situation and recalibrating my actions while constantly staying positive and motivated is the goal. I know the lows will come but they will pass. PMA (positive mental attitude) all the way baby!
Skills, Logistics and Equipment
I've spent a lifetime in the mountains. More than most. However, the lightning on the CT is like nowhere else. It scares me and rightly so. I've had some really close calls in AZ and AK with electricity, but on the CT in late summer, you're deliberately headed into the tumult. I trust my decision making abilities and risk assessment skills. I've always been confident when juggling objective hazards in the backcountry. But Mother Nature Always Bats Last! Whether guiding or on a personal adventure, the weather and lightning in particular is to be given the utmost respect. Here's a link to NOLS lightning safety. This paper has made the rounds over the years and it still holds up as best practice. Please be kind, Apollo!
I also needed to refine by mechanical skills. I'm a mediocre bike wrench at best. But I'm getting much better. My good friend Bonecrusher is one talented boy. We've spent time together disassembling my bike and building it back up. I've spent way too much money replacing parts, bleeding and changing brakes, cables, tires and even discovering two, inappropriately installed spacers in my bottom bracket.....Yup, that's right- somewhere between Salsa and the local shops, two spacers ended up in my 73 BB. I brought it too the attention of my local mechanics and Salsa dealer. I wanted to make sure some slave child in Taiwan wouldn't be punished for a mis-assembly. At the same time, I was relieved to have solved a long running mystery with my bike. The El Mar had always had problems shifting and despite many attempts and hundreds of dollars on shop suggested solutions, the bike remained finicky and "off" No more spacers, no more problems. All this wrenching has got my confidence up. No, I'm no where close to shop caliber but I think I'm approaching competent. YouTube is a wonderful thing...
I've worked out my logistics (meals/camps) and splits (what time/where). After all, this is a race. I have a good feel for my race pace and I have increased my efficiency both on and off the bike. I have always hiked strong and climbed fast. I've worked on cutting down my FAT. So by comparing and adjusting my race pace to other riders in the CO Endurance Series (people I ride/race with often), I'm somewhat able to calculate splits based upon their past CTR performances. Grizzly Adam's book- Durango to Denver: A Thru-race of the Colorado Trail has proved invaluable for this research. I know this planning is all front country conjecture and the experience is highly susceptible to the "bull's mood" My ideas regarding splits all come with the disclaimer that everything must go smoothly- no mechanicals/injuries/weather delays/ etc.....yeah right. I'm under no illusion when it comes to touting a finish time for this beast. Again, I have my ideas on what a flawless run for me would look like.....but I'm keeping those thoughts to myself. No finish target articulated on track leaders- nothing good ever happens to a target. I just want to finish this thing.
Gear
I know it's often said, but I'll repeat it again...."for a free bike race, this experience sure is expensive!" Hands down the greatest expense this year has been gear and supplies. I plan on posting up later this season on my 2014 race season budget to actuals. I think that will be a very interesting reflection! It's still surprising how much I've had to shell out for a 6 race season. We all make choices and it's definitely been coin well spent....
So without getting too into the weeds, here are some major gear/equipment changes for me between the CTR and April's AZTR Gear List:
Shoes & Gaitors
My old 5.10 impacts finally shit the bed. Although you could still use them, the right sneak is delaminating and the soles are trashed. The design of the old impacts was definitely sub par. They are heavy as fuck. Much like skate shoes on steroids that suck up and hold moisture like a sponge. 5.10 tweaked the design and re-launched the Impact M6s this year. They are way lighter and are now like skate shoes without the steroids. Great soles, huge upgrade in rand construction and they are now made with hydrophobic fabric. All huge improvements over the old style-WTG 5.10!
But the fit out of the box was shit and I know that these shoes hurt me during the CTC. Once I got back on my feet again, I immediately began researching insoles and testing products intended to make these shoes fit better. As a flat pedal rider, I really like the idea of the 5.10s and if I could dial them in, I think the new M6s are the right gear for the job. I ended up settling on Superfeet insoles- the low/mid volume blue version. My foot now "takes up more room in the shoe." It's also really hard to roll my foot improperly- no more play/float that was aggravating my ankle. The Superfeet seem to have mitigated the problem and my paws are definitely feeling more snug.
However, being skate shoes, the cuff/opening of the sneaker attracts every pebble and rock on the trail. It's amazing how much shit collects in these kicks! Enter the OR Sparkplug Gaitor. I knew instantly that I needed these. They work incredibly well and there's no more grit in my kicks! They're not for deep snow or water crossings but for trail running/hiking/mtbing, they have performed marvelously well.
Handlebar bag
Ultra light bivy tarp
Another tough decision I've made regarding gear was my shelter strategy for the trail. You know it's funny when an ultralight tarptent becomes too bulky and heavy for you....it's a huge red flag that you have totally consumed the "minimalist" kook-aid. But, the weight and bulk of my Squall Tarptent was too much to work with-Especially if my shelter was going to be on my bars! I made the switch to a one person, ultralight bivy tarp- The Rab Siltarp 1. I'm very psyched on this shelter and it rigs up beautifully. The difference in packability is clear.

Glacier gloves
I used to be a burly mountain guide. The cold never seemed to phase me. But I've soften up in my old age and now I get really chilly, really quick. Years of working my hands raw in the cold and snow have left them susceptible to temperature fluctuations that where a non-issue in the past. A crushed left ulnar nerve doesn't help either. Specifically, my hands get colder, faster and for longer periods of time....I discovered while training in inclement weather that I had the right gear to keep everything warm except my hands. I went hunting for a solution. I had used Glacier Gloves for years- ice climbing, winter boating, mountaineering, etc....The company now has a special line of cycling products and I studied up on the different models. I settled on the Super G Race gloves. I know this is most likely overkill for the CTR, but I also know that if needed, I could ride all day in the rain and snow with these puppies on. They are also super light and very packable. Very happy with this choice and I'll be psyched to use them on the fatty this fall/winter.
MSR pocket rocket
Stove or no stove....that is the question! But when you have an MSR Pocket Rocket, is there really much to contemplate here? Weighing nothing, it's an insurance policy against the cold. If I'm going to give up some of the benefits/safety of a tent, my stove seems like a great way to hedge my bets. Also, trying to go from Durango to BV with 4 days of food would not be possible for me if I wasn't doing dehydrated meals. Rocking the Mountain House- good stuff. One 4oz gas canister should get me to BV with some iso-bu left to spare. I'll have hot brew every morning and a hot meal every night. Super motivating and rewarding! I'm convinced this is the right call...and should conditions get nasty up high, I can always hide away and brew up. Throw some bacon jerky in my cheesy mashers....mmmmmmm, life is good.
Final Thoughts
| Doughworks or Jamesons anyone? Challenging CT racer's commitment to self-support ethics on top of Blackhawk Pass, Day One CTR- 2013. |
And now, here we are..... August 10th, 2014. 4am. is only hours away. The iTunes is loaded up with son volt, johnny cash, tool and pretty lights. The bike is packed and my training is complete. The objectives have been met and now it all comes down to me getting the job done. Here's to a safe and amazing experience. We'll see you on the other side of this thing.
Please click on the following:
2014 Colorado Trail Race Homepage.Learn about the course, the race's history and look at past results. Be careful, it's very easy to lose hours of your life down this rabbit hole. You might even get inspired to give it a go yourself!
Trackleaders is "how" to watch the race. I'll be carrying a SPOT tracking beacon and Trackleaders will have my position on the course map. Neat features this year allow you to turn on weather conditions/radar/etc....You can watch my dot pedal into the maelstrom.....fun to follow, fairly addictive, always exciting.
Michael's SPOT Shared Page
Trackleaders.com shows my position on the big board in relation to other riders on the trail. If you click on my dot/name, it takes you to a page that shows only me on the map. This is my public SPOT shared page. You can shortcut to the shared page through this link.
MTBCast.com Joe Polk has brought ultra endurance mountain bike racing to the masses via his daily podcasts. Racers are encouraged to call in and each day Joe trues up the preceding day's messages. Mixing in colorful commentary and interesting anecdotes, Joe has become the sports defacto announcer and his show is not to be missed! MTBcast will be on course and in the field for this year's CTR so it should make for some great race coverage. I plan on calling in at the start/BV/finish, we'll see what happens.
Bikepacking.net 2014 CTR Race Discussion
Bikepacking.net is where the tribe gathers. Most of the year, it's racers talking and planning together. But during the big events, a race discussion thread is started by the members. It's neat to log in and read the comments. Friends and family usually join in the race discussion too!

The Colorado Trail Foundation
None of this would be possible without the tireless efforts of the CTF. If you travel the CT (or hope to some day) please consider making a donation to this impactful nonprofit. They do amazing work and facilitate valuable stewardship, education and outreach opportunities related to the Colorado trail. Their trail maps, guidebooks and resources are second to none. (the 5th addition Databook is the racers' bible) And get out there and get some trail work done wherever you're at!






No comments:
Post a Comment